GLAD YOU FOUND ME AND WELCOME

This blog is intended to track my 100% whole food plant based experience and share what I have learned with others. You can participate in this blog by posting questions, advice, your experiences and successes, and anything else you think others may learn from this share in the Post Comments section after each of my Blog Posts. Please take advantage of the Subscribe For Updates or follow us link...your email address will not be shared. Also, feel free to click the Please Share It link and share it with the G+1 button in the top left corner to join our Google Circle and also add me to Facebook and Twitter. Ken Carlile



Quote

WHOLE FOOD PLANT BASED QUOTE
Stop worrying about dieting. Just eat whole foods that come out of the earth and not the foods that fertilize it. Ken Carlile, Blogger at www.ieatplants.com


LINKS TO THIS BLOG

Disqus now available after each post. Click on post title and go to the bottom of the page. Great for commenting.The links below will also take you to this post. Choose your favorite!

WWW.IEATPLANTS.COM, WWW.KENCARLILE.COM, WWW.PLANTS2TABLE.COM, WWW.PLANTSTOTABLE.COM, WWW.PLANTS4PLATES.COM, WWW.PLANTSTRONGEATING.COM, WWW.PLANTSTRONGTABLE.COM

ON THE ROAD

Print Friendly and PDF

Being on the road can be a bit stressful for plant strong eating.  You don't know the area.  There aren't always obvious choices.  If you're staying in a hotel you're forced to eat out.

I try to stay in hotel suites that have some sort of kitchen, be it only two burners or a regular stove.  If I'm driving to the location I always bring my own knives, a cutting board and spices.

I was recently in Las Vegas for 5 days for a convention, so when I arrived I hit up the local Trader Joe's and went to town.  I got canned black beans, fresh peas, lentils, brown rice, tomatoes, green chilies, cilantro, potatoes and diced crimini mushrooms.

The first night I made a big batch of brown rice.  I brought my own onions, fresh garlic and as I said spices (I used the ones I told you about in this post. 

The room came equipped with pots so I was set.  I sliced the onions and put them in a hot pan along with the mushrooms.  I flash steamed/sauteed them until nicely browned.  I added about a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds.  After about a minute add about 7 cloves of chopped fresh garlic and two diced green chilies (or to your spice level) and saute for another minute.   I  then added 4 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups of lentils.  Bring to a boil and after 5 minutes I added 4 peeled and cubed potatoes.  Now add 1 tablespoon of the spice mix from the same post I linked to above.  Let this boil away until the lentils and potatoes are cooked.  Add 1 teaspoon (or salt to taste).

I added 1 cup of fresh peas right before serving.  You can add freshly diced cilantro as a flavorful garnish.  During the next nights I added drained and rinsed black beans one night.  On another I added sliced firm tofu and on the last I made whole wheat burritos by adding fresh avocados and salsa.

Easy, inexpensive and fulfilling.  I did also make my own oatmeal every morning as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SEND ME YOUR COMPLIMENTS, CRITIQUES OR SUGGESTIONS HERE.

Name

Email *

Message *