These are awesome. These were introduced to me by my sister-in-law Janet and she got the recipe from a website called One Green Planet. They are really high in vitamins (including B12) and protein, have a great taste, not too sweet (a requirement for me), and completely Raw (other than the Amaranth seeds that are popped on the outside). Better than a candy bar and so much better for you. It's hard to find protein bars with no oil or sugar (this has agave and real cocoa, not milk chocolate),
The hardest thing about this recipe was finding the ingredients. The amaranth seeds are an ancient food popular in the latin community since the days of the Ancient Peruvians. I found them at Mother's Market, a great health food store in Southern California. Cocoa Nibs also was a bit hard to find, but well worth the search and you can get these at Whole Foods. Other than that, really easy.
I found a couple of changes in the recipe that you'll find make it easier. First, they say use 4 scoops of protein powder. I used Hemp protein powder and it didn't come with a scoop. Anyway, it's approximately 30 grams (by weight) per scoop, so roughly 1 plus a tablespoon of protein powder. It should be pretty thick, not runny at all.
Makes about 18 golf ball size
- ¾ cup oatmeal
- 4 scoops raw protein powder (I use hemp)
- 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maca powder (optional)
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp raw smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup of raw almond milk
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- ½ cup of raw cacao nibs
- ½ cup of dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup popped amaranth (avoid to make raw balls) about 1/2 cups before popping (raw)
- Pop the amaranth. Use a non-stick skillet and heat it on high you test with 1/2 teaspoon of Amaranth. Pour 2 tbsp of dry amaranth into the skillet. It will start to pop like popcorn within 3 seconds. If it doesn’t, pan isn’t hot enough. If it pops immediately, pan is too hot. Lift and shake the pot periodically so the amaranth doesn't burn. All will be done within 10-15 seconds.Pour popped amaranth into a bowl. Repeat until you have 1 cup of popped grain.
- In a food processor combine oatmeal, protein powder, chocolate powder, maca powder, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse until a uniform mixture is achieved.
- Add the banana, peanut butter, almond milk, and agave nectar. Pulse until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add cacao nibs, ground flax seeds, and cranberries. Mix.
- Shape the mixture into golf-size balls and roll them in the popped amaranth.
- Place on the cutting board.
- When all of the mixture is shaped into balls, place them into the freezer for about an hour.
Post a Comment