GLAD YOU FOUND ME AND WELCOME

This blog is intended to track my 100% whole food plant based experience and share what I have learned with others. You can participate in this blog by posting questions, advice, your experiences and successes, and anything else you think others may learn from this share in the Post Comments section after each of my Blog Posts. Please take advantage of the Subscribe For Updates or follow us link...your email address will not be shared. Also, feel free to click the Please Share It link and share it with the G+1 button in the top left corner to join our Google Circle and also add me to Facebook and Twitter. Ken Carlile



Quote

WHOLE FOOD PLANT BASED QUOTE
Stop worrying about dieting. Just eat whole foods that come out of the earth and not the foods that fertilize it. Ken Carlile, Blogger at www.ieatplants.com


LINKS TO THIS BLOG

Disqus now available after each post. Click on post title and go to the bottom of the page. Great for commenting.The links below will also take you to this post. Choose your favorite!

WWW.IEATPLANTS.COM, WWW.KENCARLILE.COM, WWW.PLANTS2TABLE.COM, WWW.PLANTSTOTABLE.COM, WWW.PLANTS4PLATES.COM, WWW.PLANTSTRONGEATING.COM, WWW.PLANTSTRONGTABLE.COM

FINALLY SOME SOUR CREAM

Print Friendly and PDF



OK, I have to admit to one thing I do miss on this whole foods adventure, sour cream.  I love everything about it and the possibilities you can do with it.  I used to just eat it out of the container with tortilla chips.  Ahh, memories....I digress.  But seriously, who doesn't love sour cream on a potato or as a base for a dip.  Even add a little honey for a decadent dessert topper.  I searched around to find out how other vegans made it, but I didn't hold out much hope for taste and texture.  Here's what I came up with.

1 cup of raw, unsalted, cashews
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons (about 4-5 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
H20 about 1/2 cup but add a tablespoon at a time so it's not too runny
Sea Salt to taste  (start with 1/2 teaspoon)
Optional 4 oz. by weight of silken tofu, measure after water is squeezed out

Before you go to bed, put the cashews in water and cover by 3 inches.  By tomorrow night you'll be on your way to sour cream heaven.

When you wake up, pour out the liquid, rinse the cashews and cover with more water.  At the end of the day, pour out the water and rinse them again (I can't lie, I actually took two days to do this but not because they weren't ready after the first day, I just wasn't ready to make this simple treat).

Put the cashews in your mini cuisinart, blender, vita-mix, magic bullet or whatever you use to pulverize.  Add the lemon and vinegar.  (I like it sour, so if you think this sounds too sour to you, add less lemon).  Keep blending until you get the consistency you want.  You'll have to use a rubber spatula a couple of times to push everything on the sides back to the middle.  If you think it's too thick, just add some water, about a tablespoon at a time.  Remember, you will probably need to stir it up before each use if you don't use it all at once.


1 comment:

SEND ME YOUR COMPLIMENTS, CRITIQUES OR SUGGESTIONS HERE.

Name

Email *

Message *