Agua, H20, Water. Whatever you call it, the importance of water should not be overlooked. Below I've listed 8 things that drinking water can help prevent and benefit you, and some items lack of water can cause. I've been taking care of a couple of elderly relatives for the past few months. I've got one of them on a plant based diet and already, after 2 months, her cholesterol has dropped 40 points to around 130. That's significant considering the amount of Lipitor she's been taking. All of the blood work came back excellent but it also said she's dehydrated. I beg her to drink more liquids but it falls on deaf ears most of the time.
Check out this list.
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 30%
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back any joing pain for up to 80% of the sufferers. (listen up people with arthritis)
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.
This study was found on the Amherst College website and is attributed to * Williams, Nutrition for Health, Wellness, and Sport (5th Edition).