GLAD YOU FOUND ME AND WELCOME

This blog is intended to track my 100% whole food plant based experience and share what I have learned with others. You can participate in this blog by posting questions, advice, your experiences and successes, and anything else you think others may learn from this share in the Post Comments section after each of my Blog Posts. Please take advantage of the Subscribe For Updates or follow us link...your email address will not be shared. Also, feel free to click the Please Share It link and share it with the G+1 button in the top left corner to join our Google Circle and also add me to Facebook and Twitter. Ken Carlile



Quote

PLANT STRONG QUOTE
The answer to the American health crisis is the food that each of us chooses to put in our mouths each day...It's as simple as that. T Colin Campbell, PhD, Author Whole and The China Study

LINKS TO THIS BLOG

These links will also take you to this post. Choose your favorite! Disqus now avail after each post. Click on post title and go to the bottom of the page.

www.kencarlile.com, www.plants2table.com, www.plantstotable.com, www.plantstrongtable.com, www.plantstrongeating.com, www.plants4plates.com

ERIN'S VEGGIE PASTA SAUCE



I must give credit where credit is due, this delicious spaghetti sauce is loaded with fresh vegetables and incredibly good.  My cousin Erin makes this for her family and her kids always ask for seconds.  You can't go wrong with this and it's n(o)il, plant strong, high in fiber with loads of flavor.

I was her sous chef here (though she probably didn't want my help), but I wanted to learn this as she's been raving about it forever.

Recipe:

2 cups cut up kale (de-veined)
2 carrots cleaned (no need to peel) and rough chop
2 zucchinis rough chop
1 onion rough chop
1 pint crimini mushrooms (baby portabella) rinsed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and rough chop
12 cloves of garlic peeled (or more if you love garlic)
1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (try to get the low sodium) or whole tomatoes that you crush yourself
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 (or more) cups Roasted Vegetable Stock
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup good red wine (optional)

You are going to pulse all of the vegetables in a food processor (or finely cut them if you don't have one).  Do this in batches and put all of the chopped vegetables in a large stock pot (you can also do this in a slow cooker).  Add the tomato paste, stock, tomatoes and red wine and stir well.  Add the seasoning and crushed red pepper.    Cover and simmer for and hour and a half or more.  Make sure the sauce reduces to the consistency you like.  If it's too thin, reduce more.  If it's' too thick, add more stock.

Serve this over your favorite 100% whole grain pasta with some nutritional yeast blend instead of parmesan. This was served with meatless meatballs, but it's great with just the sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Digital clock

ABOUT ME

My Photo

My history with food is that I was a chef with my own catering company for years and I cooked everything; meat, poultry, fish and dairy was prominent in all of my cooking.  Like most people, a meal wasn't a meal without a large protein as the centerpiece, with vegetables, rice and potatoes playing supporting roles.  After I stopped catering I only cooked for friends and family, but I continued my passion for great food and amazing flavors.

As I got older my cholesterol went up, I eventually had high blood pressure and I had a bad case of acid reflux....so I was on medication for all three.  I wasn't really over weight.  A few pounds more than I would have liked, but that just comes with aging and less exercise than I used to do.  I didn't really think it was a big deal until last year when I experienced the death of several friends and watched my Dad try and recover from a major stroke and slip into vascular dementia.

I read the books "Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease"  and "The China Study" and stopped eating animal protein and dairy before I finished the first book.  

Three weeks after I started the new "nutrition plan" (I don't call it a diet as I wasn't trying to lose weight) I lost 15 pounds.  I felt amazing.  Depression that had hung over me for years seemed to be lifting.  I had a ton of energy and clothes that had been starting to feel tight, now fit (or were really loose).  Three months after I started, I weaned myself (with doctor's permission) off of my blood pressure medicine, stopped taking my statin medicine for cholesterol, and, with the help of Apple Cider Vinegar and water, stopped taking Prilosec after about 10 years.